The Charm E*Colite test is used to screen water, foods, and juices for coliform and Escherichia coli. The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-approved “bag” test provides a positive or negative result in 28 hours for coliform and 28 to 48 hours for E. coli in compliance with the Total Coliform Rule. The “vial” test provides a positive or negative result in 24 hours for coliform and 24 to 28 hours for E. coli.
The E*Colite media used in both the bag and vial tests enables detection of a single coliform and/or E. coli bacteria in a 100 ml sample. Food samples such as milk and juice are diluted in water for testing. The E*Colite media is formulated to resuscitate and detect chlorine-stressed coliforms that may be found in drinking, bottled, and food/beverage waters.
Read results visually by examining the color. A negative sample is yellow. Coliform presence is indicated by a blue color, which is easy to see, especially in turbid, or rust and heterotropic-bacteria contaminated waters. Blue with fluorescence at 366 nm indicates the presence of E. coli.
To ensure operator and environmental safety, the E*Colite bag test includes a bactericide. When activated, the bactericide reduces the growth of microorganisms in preparation for disposal.
- Screens for coliform and E. coli in 28 to 48 hours for bag test; 24 to 28 hours for vial test
- Self-contained bag test is EPA-approved for compliance monitoring under the Total Coliform Rule
- Detects a single coliform and/or E. coli in 100 ml of water
- Detects disinfectant-stressed coliform/E. coli
- Provides easy-to-read visual results
Analytical Methods Approved for Compliance Monitoring under the Total Coliform Rule– Sources of Approved Analytical Methods for National Drinking Water Regulations, June 2008
- EPA Approved Analytical Method for National Drinking Water Regulation
- EPA Approved for Compliance Monitoring under the Ground Water Rule